Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgivukkah

This was the first year we hosted thanksgiving at our house since Asher was born.  The last time we had thanksgiving at our house I was preggo with Asher.

We called Thanksgiving for 4:30, which allowed everyone to enjoy a lazy day in the kitchen prepping for what I like to call "Casserole Thursday".

From the moment everyone arrived Asher was WIRED. He was so happy to have all of his favorite people all in one place...and I think he was even more excited that it was at HIS house with all of HIS toys.

Of course I was stressed and on edge about his behavior and having everyone at the house, which is something I need to work on...  I always love the idea of entertaining...I love the planning, the cooking, the decorating/prep of the house...I just need to learn to relax and enjoy the company once all the work is done.

That said, we did have a great evening of family time and delicious food!  Everyone went above and beyond with the menu this year!

Our menu included:  Spiced Apple Swedish Meatballs, Bacon Wrapped Dates, Fried Turkey and Smoked Turkey, Bacon Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Honey Crisp Apple, Broccoli and Cheese Casserole, Aunt Fanny Squash Casserole, Butter Beans, Stuffing and Dressing, Sweet Potato Casserole, 2 kinds of Cranberry Sauce, Mini Pumpkin Pie Bites and Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake!

I didn't take nearly enough photos, and these are all from the junky point and shoot camera and iphone camera...but better than nothing!

I love these first two: Asher standing on the stool in the kitchen watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade (taking pictures of the TV with his camera) and Nick ready to get the Big Green Egg Going:


These pictures look the same every.single.year....except for the addition of Asher "begging" for turkey with the Dogs while Poppy is carving:


Helping Aunt Sara whip the topping for dessert.

 

I am very disappointed I did not get any pictures of Asher with Mimi or Uncle Matt, but they were both very much a part of our Thanksgiving celebration.

Photo Credit to Uncle Jim of course
-----
It was an extremely rare coincidence that the second night of Hanukkah fell on Thanksgiving, resulting in a rare holiday called Thanksgivukkah.  1899 was the last time Thanksgivukkah occurred, and one physicist has calculated that, if the Jewish calendar is not revised, Thursday, November 28 will not fall during Hanukkah again until the year 79811.  So this was a once in a lifetime holiday for us all!



It was fun to have everyone there to celebrate and even more fun for Asher since he got to open 4 presents!

No comments:

Post a Comment