Wednesday, November 27, 2013

1st Night of Hanukkah

Yes... it is beyond bizarre to celebrate Hanukkah before Thanksgiving....having the house decorated for Hanukkah and Fall at the same time, and to have all the shopping done and gifts wrapped.  All the holidays all together has Asher confused too. Throughout the day today he said Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Trick-or-Treat, Happy New Year and Happy Hanukah (no more ha-koo like last year).


We talked about Hanukkah all day, painted a paper dreidel and even made latkes to celebrate the first night. All day Asher wanted to open his presents, but patiently waited until we ate dinner, said the blessing and lit both menorahs! (Gigi bought Asher his very own menorah this year).
*I do not think my hair is really that red.  Yes, it does have SOME red in it...but this seems really red...
this is NOT the color I see when I look in the mirror.


What a drastic difference in his unwrapping skills from last year. He tore into his packages without any help from us! First he opened one of the gifts Bubbie sent (she sent one for each night), then he opened his big present from mommy and daddy (a matchbox car box filled with 48 cars). When he opened the present he said "my wace caws!!!", then was mesmerized at how many were in there. He played with his "caws", ate Hanukkah gelt ("hock-let coins" as he calls them) and even cleaned up all his cars when he was finished (with a lot of encouragement from us). Then we read the Curious George Hanukkah book from Bubbie and then went upstairs for bath and bedtime.



It was a great first night of Hanukkah!  When I was putting him to bed I said Happy Hanukkah Asher, in which he replied "Happy Hanukkah Mommy...tomorrow two candles"  I was so surprised and excited.  He really is listening, comprehending and retaining what I tell him about Hanukkah!
We are looking forward to seven more nights!

No comments:

Post a Comment