Asher had his one month check up today and we saw Dr. Royal again. Everything is growing and developing as it should be, and my laundry list of "is it normal" questions all yielded a "yes its perfectly normal" response.
Pudgin is a growing boy! Since Asher was born he has gained 2lbs 1oz, and grew 3/4" in length. His new stats are:
Height: 21.75 inches (70th percentile)
Weight: 10 pounds 13 ounces (75th percentile)
Head: 38 cm (50th percentile)
We found out that all of the cute sounds that he makes is actually quite normal in infants and is called "laryngomalacia" which means "soft larynx". Basically the cartilage of the upper larynx is immature and not fully developed yet which causes it to collapse inward during inhalation which results in partial airway obstruction (nothing I should worry or be concerned about the Dr. enforced). Interesting enough, the sounds that he makes will actually get louder and more pronounced before they ultimately go away before he reaches the age of 2.
The last part of the visit was another round of the Hep B shot. I'm not sure if the shot was worse for me or for Asher. Of course I had to hold him while the nurse was giving him the shot, and he made a horrible sad wince face, let out a loud scream and started crying (my eyes also welled up). But within a minute I had him cuddled on my shoulder and he had forgotten all about it. We got home and I gave him some baby aspirin as a preventative, he had a mid afternoon snack and then took a great nap! I guess that the shot and the combination of a screwed up morning/early afternoon schedule and no early afternoon nap really wore him out.
No comments:
Post a Comment