Sunday, April 13, 2014

3rd Birthday Party: Crafts & Decor

I decided I would split Asher's party blogs into two posts.  I have spent the last couple of months crafting, planning and crafting some more.  I can admit to going overboard on all the decorations, but since I started back in February I just worked on one thing at a time...and when I was finished, I was looking for something else to do!

My first project was designing his invitation.  Every year I have made his invitation myself.  But, I think this year was my favorite so far!

Then, with a theme and color pallet the real crafting began! Here are some of the pics I took along the way as I completed things!
It was fun crafting with products that were new to me!  The food flags in the top right used double sided adhesive which allowed me to print directly on scrapbook paper and then turn it into a sticker. The food flags on the bottom right used the Silhouette printable sticker paper (for the center part) so I did not have to glue each circle onto the backer.  The "3" on the PJS was just standard fabric, that I cut with the Silhouette using the fabric blade, then using fabric interfacing I was able to iron the 3 directly onto his PJ top (the interfacing is meant as a temporary bond just to hold the fabric in place while sewing...but for a couple of hours at the party it held up just fine without being sewn on).  The cake tray on the bottom is a heavy plastic plate and a spray painted candle stick from the dollar store, glued together using E6000.  Looking back, the most challenging part of everything I created was picking and pairing the various colors and patterns of scrapbook paper.


There is no way I could have done all of this without Melissa and Jordan.  They both had countless conversations with me about layout, decor, crafts, etc....you would have thought I was planning a wedding (I already admitted to going to the extreme). Then the night before the party all three of us met at the clubhouse (I rented the clubhouse in Melissa's neighborhood) to transform the place and make it come to life!  The most rewarding part of all of my crafting was seeing everything come together, pretty much just as I had pictured in my head!






I fell in love with this fabric and so pleased at how much it added to the overall look of the clubhouse.  

For the drinks we served coffee, apple juice, chocolate milk, orange juice, water and mimosas! 
(note to self...4 bottles of champagne is NOT enough)

There is not really a need  for activities at a three year olds birthday party.  They are happy just running back and forth, dancing, eating and sticking their hands and faces all over the windows...but it never hurts to have a Fruit Loop Necklace/Bracelet Station and a Coloring Station.

Our menu included a variety of donuts and donut holes, little fruit cups for the kids, silver dollar pancakes, "egg and bacon snacks", fruit and yogurt parfaits and blueberry muffins!


For Asher's cake, I made a big pancake stack but instead of pancake mix, used cake mix and followed this recipe.  However the icing turned out nothing like it was pictured in this recipe.  The cake was good, but I would recommend pouring the icing on every layer of pancakes and not just the top layer!

I racked my brain trying to come up with a party favor that ties into the pancakes and pajamas theme. Then thought what better favor that a mini pillow for each kid?!  Two Peaches Design did and AMAZING job with these pillows and everyone was so excited to take one home.  Even adults were asking if there were leftovers!


To see all my inspiration for the Pancakes and Pajamas party, check out my pinterest board.

1 comment:

  1. Love all your stuff for this party! I am planning one and would love to do coloring pages like yours. I can't find any pancakes with candles anywhere. Where did you find this?

    ReplyDelete