Thursday, September 20, 2012

1st Day of Day Care

I am so behind on blog posts, I still havent blogged about sisters bachelorette parties, or the wedding, or posted Asher's 17 month blog post, and have not even begun putting ANY pictures in a Snapfish Album since Asher's first birthday...but today was a big day so Im blogging out of order.

Today was a day that I have been dreading for a while. Asher's first day of daycare. I know that its good for him, its time for him to make new friends, time for him to have a day outside of my house or Gigi's house, and time for him to learn that he does not always get 100% of his caregivers attention. Although I recognize all of the benefits of Asher going to daycare, it does not make the process of me dropping him off any easier.

I packed his bag last night (with a heavy heart) and got him all ready for his first day. First off, I should start by telling you that he is not at a traditional, institutionalized day care. He is at one of my co-workers houses, staying with his wife, their two kids and one other little boy. So he is still in the home environment, but its someone else's home and it is being shared among 4 boys.

The 4 boys range in age from 10 months to 3 years. I like the idea that all the kids are not the same age, and that Asher will learn so much being around 2 older boys. Asher, Sister and I have visited Esthers house a couple of times now, just so that it was not a completely strange place with a strange person, but its been a couple of weeks since any of us have been by.

 Today when I took Asher, I knew that I had to make it a quick. As much as I wanted to stay and hang out and wait until he felt comfortable, the longer I stayed, the harder leaving was going to be for both of us. We walked in and I immediately put him down. He stayed close, and held onto my leg, but I was grateful that he didn't have his arms wrapped around me clinging on for dear life.  After a couple of minutes he wandered away from me, but always came running back.  A couple minutes later we were on the floor playing with blocks, I got up and told him that I had to go to work and I would be back.  He stayed on seated, but was wide-eyed staring at my every move.  He looked a little concerned, but he was not crying (as I had anticipated) so I blew him a kiss and walked out the door.  THEN, I got in my car and balled my eyes out.

I was so thankful that he did not cry, but I still felt horrible for leaving him and very anxious about how he would do all day.

Within an hour of being at work I got this picture text from Esther.
Text Read:  I think Kyle has a new best friend :)  Asher hasnt fussed at all!
It was great timing and I was so happy that she texted me a picture without me even having to ask for it (something I make all of Asher's other caregivers do).  It looks like Kyle was intrigued with Asher, but he didn't seem too sure about Kyle, but at least he wasn't crying or running away.  I was happy to see that Asher was still sitting where I left him with all the blocks

Esther wasn't too sure that Asher would take 2 naps at her house.  She said most of the kids that she has had in the past would not go to sleep with all the excitement going on downstairs, but around 11am I got this picture text.
Text Read:  Asher is sleeping like a baby.  He didn't fuss at all and played for about 20 minutes before falling asleep.  I cant believe how well he is doing.  Its like hes been coming here forever ;)

Ester was so great with all the texts.  The good progress reports, combined with the photos made today so much easier on me.  A couple of hours later, this was the next picture text I received.
Text Read:  Still doing good :-)
He's smiling!!  And sitting at the table like a big boy!  He looks so big and grown up to me in this picture.  I am SOO thankful for these text messages!  They really got me through the day.  After lunch they played outside (in their fantastic fenced in back yard) and I got this picture.

A little while later, another text update to tell me that he went down just like his morning nap and he was out like a light.  One of my concerns was Asher having to nap in a room with other kids, but he didn't have to face that today since the other boys had already woke up from their afternoon nap, so he got the room to himself.  A nice way to ease into his days at Esthers.  Maybe next week we will face that obstacle...and... as apprehensive as I am...I bet he will surprise me again and do just great!  He has been surpassing all of my expectations for him when it comes to change lately.  Makes me so proud!

Before I knew it, it was already time for me to go pick him up.  I snuck into the house to try and get a sneak peek.  They were outside playing soccer, and I snapped this picture before Asher had a chance to see me.

I walked outside and was instantly spotted.  I had been anticipating this moment all day long.  I couldn't wait to see how he would react when he saw me.  I dont know what I was expecting, but he looked at me, started walking my direction with a huge smile on his face, got half way to me and then went back to playing with the ball.  HE WAS HAVING FUN!!


We hung out for a little while so Asher could keep playing and Esther could fill me in on some of the other details of his day.  I got a great report and could not be happier!  Just like everything else where Asher has been concerned, I have been anxious, apprehensive, concerned and over analyze anything new, over and over again in my head, and the anticipation is ALWAYS worse than the actual experience itself.  I hope we have just as good of an experience next week!

I should add that even though I make it sound like a huge deal, Asher is only going to Esther's one day a week...for now...thats all Momma can handle, and luckily we have a wonderful family/friend support system for the other 4 days a week.  In a month he will start going 2 days a week because he needs the interaction and consistency, but only one change at a time for Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment