In my family we like to really celebrate holidays. Not just one day but the entire weekend. When I was younger it was my birthday week, and my birthday weekend, not just one day. Of course that is something that I have tried to continue with Nick and Asher.
Last year on Mothers Day, Asher was not even a month old, so a whole weekend of celebrating was not really in the cards. Besides as a brand new mommy I already felt special! But this year....we made a weekend out of it!
It started Friday night with a much needed and long overdue girls night out. Then Saturday morning while the baby was napping a mani and pedi for mommy followed by a trip to the mall with my boys to pick out my favorite Lush bath bombs and bubble bars and a couple of new candles from bath and body works for mothers day! In the afternoon we went to the Chattahoochee nature center for some official Freeman Family Photos (more on that in another post). In the evening we had some friends over for dinner (and a Mac/Lightroom crash course for me). Two nights in a row hanging with friends was a real treat. We are starting to get a little bit of "our oldselves" back.
Sunday morning I woke up to beautiful roses and sweet mothers day cards from both of my boys! It is hard work being a mom. All the things that we do on a day to day basis. To read the card with such sweet sentiments and reminding me that Nick IS aware of all that I do filled my heart with so much joy and again I was overwhelmed with emotion.
We planned to spend the day at the Dunwoody arts festival, but the weather did not cooperate so we headed into Buckhead for delicious sushi at Sushi Kiku and walked around Lenox Mall for a bit.
We wrapped up the weekend with a Mothers Day dinner with both of our moms at our favorite Mexican restaurant . Asher gave Gigi and Mimi custom photo cards and a photobook with some of our favorite pictures from his first year. Asher was pretty good at dinner and ate the entire bowl of guacamole with a spoon (fed it to himself). It's always fun when all the grandparents get together and just see the sheer happiness and pride that is a result of Asher. It if were not for the grandparents, I would not be a Mother.
There is just something about these "celebration" days that I get extra emotional thinking about how thankful I am to be a mother. How grateful I am to have Asher in my life. Because of him (and a little help from Nick) I have the best, most rewarding (and equally challenging) job in the world. I always new I wanted to be a mommy when I "grow up", I just never knew exactly how special it would be. Being a mom is really such a gift. A gift of unconditional love, a gift of nurturing, a gift of intense emotion that I have never ever experienced. Asher is by far my biggest accomplishment and I am so happy that I am his mommy.
Did I really not have ANY pictures on mothers day??
ReplyDelete