Tuesday, August 13, 2013

1st Day of School

Asher had his first day of pre-school at Foundations for the Future, and he did GREAT!!  Nick and I did our fair share of searching for a pre-school for Asher and I am so happy that we ended up here. The week before his class started we got an email from his teachers outlining the "curriculum" for the week.  We get these "narratives" each week to help us understand what they will be learning and what we can continue to work on at home.

The week before school started Nick and I kept telling Asher how he was going to start school and make new friends and how much fun he was going to have.  Getting the narrative in advance helped us to give him examples of some of the fun things he would be doing!

Of course, no first day of school is complete with out 1st day of school pictures!



I was apprehensive about the drop off on the first day but it went great.  Tuesday mornings at 8:50, Ashers Class, The Clownfish, have open gym.   We got there right around 8:45 as his class was walking to the gym.  So  I walked with Asher and the rest of his class to the gym.  He did a good job of following in line with the class and listening to his teacher, Miss Jaimee, instruct all the kids to go sit against the wall and take off their shoes.  (of course Asher has not learned how to take his shoes off on his own, so I stuck around to help and get a sneak peak of gym time.)  Once his shoes were off, he was OFF to the trampoline and didnt even look back.  I stayed and talked to his teacher for a minute and then headed off to work.  I was thrilled that he was so excited to play at the gym with a bunch of kids he has never met, but at the same time was disappointed I didnt get a hug and kiss goodbye.

The day seemed to go SO SLOW.  When I am at work I am used to getting photos and updates about his day regardless of who he is with, so this was new for me.  Nick and I chatted through the day and couldn't wait until his daily "Discovery Report".  (Another thing we LOVE about his school is that each day we get daily Discovery reports, complete with pictures telling us about all they did that day and how each activity meets some sort of learning objective).

I love this picture of Asher sitting on the rug for circle time as Miss Jaimee reads a counting book.  (If you look close and analyze the picture like I did, you can see him counting his fingers as well!)

When I went to pick Asher up this is how I found him, playing with cars and trains of course.  He was happy to see me and gave me a hug but then went right back to playing while I talked to his teacher about the day.


Miss Jaimee said that Asher had a great day and adapted pretty well.  She said he was a little standoffish and preferred to play by himself, but hopefully that will get better as he gets more comfortable.  He ate all of his morning snack and most of his lunch, took a 50 minute nap and even tried to use the potty twice.  (Asher is among the youngest in his class but seeing the other kids potty, he wanted to try too!)

Here is a shot of Asher with Miss Jaimee

And here is a shot of his classroom!



We are looking forward to a great year!!


----------------------

Typically Mimi and Gigi will be picking Asher up from school, but on his first day I wanted to pick him up and talk to his teachers.  After I picked him up, I brought him back to work for me for the rest of the day.  I cant get enough of seeing him at my office and how well behaved he is!


I had a meeting in our "huddle room" for an hour.  Asher sat in this chair with his headphones the entire time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment